Wednesday, October 5, 2011

R.I.P. Steve Jobs -- 1955-2011


I am staring at my inspiration board with my favorite quote pinned to the middle of it: “May You Be Inspired Today... May you be encouraged to travel your path with sure feet, confident in your direction. May you be spurred on to explore, to face the challenge, to go to the next level. May you experience many moments when you want to stand up and shout, “Hazzah! How grand life is and I want more of it!” May you fall asleep exhausted but giddy with anticipation for what is to come, as thoygh you cannot wait until the morning to continue the adventure, to see what glorious miracles are going to occur. And finally, may you realize your power to create such a day and such a life for yourself for you truly do possess it. Have An Exciting Day! ” Steve Jobs.
What a loss!

My first computer was Mac Powerbook 170, the heavy laptop with a black-n-white monitor (that still works but sits in the storage now as a technological antiquity). I’ve learnt “all things computer” on it. I wrote my thesis, got obsessed with Mahjong game and fell in love with Corel Draw. When I got to Bay Area, Steven Jobs became the face of Silicon Valley for me, of realization that everything was doable and possible in this magical crazy technological heaven. Later, when I lived near Apple’s HQs in Cupertino, I learnt how to distinguish Apple employees from HP employees in the streets. (No, it was not because of the paranoid look in the eyes of Apple’s folks, trying to protect the company’s secrets ;-)) The iPod made the gym experience much more tolerable. The iTunes helped me find a song for every nuance of my mood and also listen to exciting podcasts of some of the best lecturers in the world.

“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”

It’s sad that Steve Jobs is gone. But what a life it was! I wish that all of us will have the opportunity to see our dreams and ideas come to life before it’s our time to go!

“Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything -- all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart. ... Stay hungry. Stay foolish."

Enjoy his speech.

Rest in Peace, Sir and Thank You!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ag, back from my travels and trying to catch up with all my favourite bloggers. An inspirational man indeed.

    ReplyDelete